Standing Tall

Standing in the face of today’s depreciating values.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Christian School,

This year we are sending my son to a Christian School. It is part of a Baptist Church. They are wonderful there, and I thoroughly enjoy dropping him off and picking him up everyday.

Some days when I walk past the Sanctuary, it is loud and rolling and lively. Standing there listening I feel like an intruder at times. We attend a Presbyterian Church and though we get going at times, it is nothing compared to the going on I hear in there.

My son is learning so much. He attends their pre-k program and they use the Abeca learning system. His skills are advancing quite well. He seems to be one of those kids whom the work comes to naturally. He does not struggle at all in the education but rather eats it all up and looks for more. I have a brother like that, but I always struggled to keep up in School.

When we drive home he recites for me the songs they are learning and the prayers they learn. He sings them out as we hit the highway, and am so full sometimes I think i will bust. God has blessed us with this little man and we pray daily that God will protect him and that he shows the proper way in his education.

In contrast, my daughter remains distant. We visit, we talk, her children come over to stay with us, but there remains a distance between us. I was rough on her growing up, I was young inexperienced and selfish. I fought with her mother and those fights and animosity have manifested themselves in her.

Most of the time I invite my daughter to Church and as always she gives excuses though she lives closer to the Church than I do. Too much effort to get all three kids up and out of the house on Sunday she says. I imagine it is allot of work, but it is not a very good excuse as our Church is full of families with Children. We have a van service that will pick up both children and parents if they wish.

When I have both my son and daughter together I see the stark contrast between them. not only the age difference but their personalities. I wonder if Gods plan is something I will ever see in my lifetime or if it is something that will be hidden from me until my death. I worry that my sins will follow my son, and pray that God protects him from those sins.

For now I can only listen to God and follow him and pray that I am listening well enough. Pray that his will be obeyed and do what he asks.