Standing Tall

Standing in the face of today’s depreciating values.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Statue of Liberty

Earlier this year when we had visitors from Germany, we spent a few day in NYC. As part of that trip we decided to go see the Statue. I am an early person, and would have preferred we get there as soon as possible and get the sight seeing in early, but sometimes I am not the one in charge!

We did make our way there eventually and take the ferry out. What we were not prepared for was the security nightmare! Nightmare in that it was evident that the security there did not have any experience at it, and best I can describe was they were bumbling at it.

At the ferry we had to take off our shoes, go through a metal detector, and bags searched. It took well over an hour to get thought it, and it was not what I would have considered crowded.

Then after arriving at Liberty island we again had to be pat down, metal detectors shoes, off the whole works. I guess that was in case we swam to the boat and climbed aboard while it was in motion or something.

We waited in a line that crawled, seems they were only letting one or two people in at a time. When we got to a huge tent they had setup at the entrance, we were handed a plastic card. Then at the end of the line we handed the card to a security person. I tempted fate and my life by asking her what the card was for? From what I could see she swiped it in a machine then put it in a plastic bin. That bin was picked up and sent back to the entrance to hand to people again that were getting in line. It did not contain any personal information and I could only see it as a count card.

My question gained me a severe glance and a curt response "security purposes" and so I truly tempted fate and asked again. This time I got a full on stern look, and a very nasty response, "what business is it of yours"! I started to retort, but my company held me back as they did want to see the Statue after having come all this way.

We went to see the White House earlier that week, and the security methods were simple quick, and courteous. Whereas going to the Statue was a nightmare security wise. It was very clear the security personal were under trained and over badged with false authority.

Last time I was at the Statue was back in the mid 80's before 911, and all that, and I remember it was a breeze. We also were allowed in the crown back then, and I recall having to bend over to look out the crown. This time, no crown, not even allowed in the actual Statue but the pedestal only. They had a glass ceiling so we could look up into the Statue.

All in all the experience was not a pleasant one, and I was discouraged thorough the whole thing. What have we allowed ourselves to come to. We allow ourselves to be treated as if we are criminals when visiting our treasured landmarks. Why are we allowing this?

We need to do something to change it, to gain our freedom back again. We are giving up too much in the name of terrorism. I have sent a letter to my Congresscritters and voiced my discouragement with the Statue trip. How can such a treasure be reduced to such a mess. It was one of the worst security experiences I have ever had. Let alone having had it here in the US!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home