Standing Tall

Standing in the face of today’s depreciating values.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Politics,

Not something I get too involved in as a rule. Yes, I vote, and do pay attention to the politicians, who is running for what so I can at least vote somewhat intelligently.

However, a few weekends ago I had an opportunity come my way that was quite unexpected. The chance to meet Hillary Clinton personally and the chance to speak directly with her! For someone like me, a rare opportunity.

I will be the first to admit I am not a big fan of the Senator from NY, and do not believe in her views for the most part, and after having met with her and speaking with her, my opinion did not change. However the person who initiated to connection thought I might.

With only about six minutes talk time, what does one say that may impact her, or have any effect whatsoever, other than just another sound bite or however she might perceive it? What could I say and what topic specifically could I focus on to grab her attention, or at least put a bug in her ear about. Will I choke and stand there muttering senselessly, or talk about the weather! it could happen, my moment could come and go, and nothing leaves my moth that is comprehensible, it has been know to happen.

So, my moment comes, I am being introduced to her by my host, and through her personal assistant, and I see myself shaking her hand, and for some unknown reason, my head became calm, and my thoughts clear and I know exactly what I will say to her and in what sequence and how long I have to speak. It was like a ray of light.

So, I talk to her about the plight of many elderly, how they are barely making ends meet, such as my mother, and how there is a plethora of information out there and HEAP, and other programs for them, yet they don't seem to know about them or they don't make an effort to get on some of them because they once heard from someone they didn't qualify or it is simply too hard. We talked about upping the county limits on real Estate assessment that could also help the elderly in getting higher values for their homes through a Reverse Mortgage and so on.

She agreed that the information is out there but might not be getting to them. To her credit, she was aware that legislation just passed upping the County limits that week, so that would help greatly. She was very smart, and knowledgeable, and answered quickly and precisely. Then I asked her how her day was. Could not be all business after all. Again to her credit, she missed an event that afternoon that was more social for doing something more important. I knew when I asked her already as I had spoken with someone earlier that evening she went to see a child with Leukemia rather than attend the social event. So I told her I was glad to hear she did that personal thing and sacrificed her pleasure. She agreed. then I introduced her to my wife and they spoke for a time as well.

All in all it was a pleasurable experience, and not something I would have sought out though. It was happen stance and not by any negotiating of mine or any agenda. Right place right time brought that evening to us. There were other congress critters there, and Mayors and so on, I met with some as well.

This event was also a fund raiser, so the evening was not without cost. However my wife was willing to partake as she seems to like Senator Clinton for the most part. Here we are two different parties on the same house hold, but I suppose that is not so uncommon.

There are several issues I can not hold to with the Senator, but the main one that would certainly prevent me from siding with her would her view on Woman's Choice. This post is not about that but that would be a deal breaker right there.

I can only hope that she will in some small part of her recall the conversation and when she is in Washington making decisions and writing legislation, that she will indeed know that the people out there have real issues and concerns and there are people who are barely getting by, and help their lives in the choices she makes when voting. I can hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home