Standing Tall

Standing in the face of today’s depreciating values.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Taking Christ out of Christmas again.

This week I received an email. Well, it wasn't exactly addressed to me, but I needed to forward it to be responded to.

What I mean to say, is that the email stated "Xmas Help" Without divulging details a family was in need for the holidays and appealed to our Church. However they asked for xmas help.

Without blinking they will be receiving that help, however, a gentle reminder is in order. We are not celebrating xmas this year or any other year. We are celebrating Christmas!

There is a new Christian song I heard just the other day, I don't know who the group is though. "It's called Christmas" I believe was the title. Sort of an in your face song.

This season I plan on doing as the songs suggests. When I am told "Have a happy holiday" I plan on responding with, no, I will have a Merry Christmas though. Call it what you will people, believe what you will, once some years back I fought so hard my brother tossed me out of his house.

He insisted Christmas was not about God, but simply a holiday. So I asked him what he celebrated at Christmas, a fat man in a red suit! Well, you imagine that went over well, so he vehemently asked me to leave his house that he does not have to listen to that crap in his own house.

Today we are friends and I don't argue my point anymore with him. However at Thanksgiving dinner he asked me to say the prayer. Seems we have found some common ground somewhere in there. I may get a little zealous about my faith at times. but I believe we need to remind people now and again what it is and what is for.

It is a Christmas tree, and it is Christmas we celebrate. I am sure we have all seen the emails reminding us that it not a holiday tree and so forth, but then again we do need to respect what it is.

God bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home