Standing Tall

Standing in the face of today’s depreciating values.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Half full, or Half empty...

Never can quite get a handle around that saying, is the glass half full, or is the glass half empty? I do understand the meaning but can not get comfortable with it.

So, something I like better, or at least I can get a handle around it, is David and Goliath! Now the Army took one look at Goliath and said, " Wow, we cant take on that giant".

David however, took one look at the giant and said " Wow, he is so big how ccan I miss"! Now that i can understand.

Basically ythe same as the glass, but a much better visual for me. Goliath is the problem and with most problems they are so big they can seem daunting. Or, with them bieing so big, they can be simple to take on. In the case of David, he was able to take out Goliath with one stone. However with some problems it wont be one stone that will do the job.

Some years back in a sales seminar, i dont remember who the speaker was, but, the speaker presented us with a huge problem, or question. That was "how do you eat an elephant"? To be truthful I had absolutely no idea what they meant and why i could posibly want to know! Today I am not in sales thankfully.

The speaker old us it was simple. "One bite at a time"! Now that certainly made sense. Problems are the same, we take them one bite at a time. we see goliath and simple throw one stone at a time until we ware him down.

There are several problems on my plate that require this method right now. And when i was told to se ethe glass half full as oposed to half empty I could not get my arems around it and see the problem, rather the end of the problem. For me that analogy did not work.

Now I can see goliath standig there taunting me, and I can chip away at him until I prevail. This works.