Standing Tall

Standing in the face of today’s depreciating values.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Closing Church on Christmas day!

What could I say that has not been said around the net by better thinkers than I? Should my Church have decided to close on Christmas day, I would no longer be able to attend there, it's that simple for me. It is the Church of my childhood, my grandfather played Santa’s arriving with his horse and sleigh in my youth.

Yet, if they were to ever close their doors on the day we celebrate Christ’s birth it would end my time there. Just like that. I love my Church I give my time freely for any talents I have and ask for nothing in return. I have been a Youth Pastor there, a Sunday school teacher, and now I manage the web site, and put our Sermons on-line. It is the least I can do for my Church family.

However, the idea to close on Christmas Sunday never even came up. It is not something our family of God could even consider. Would it be nice to spend the day with family, yes it would. And we will. My Church family is my family. What are we without our brothers and sisters in Christ?

A friend of mine is leaving his Church now. They will not be open on Christ’s birthday. He cannot understand and he did not get a voice. The Church leaders simply sent out a bulletin excluding Sunday Service, but stated that with three, three mind you, Christmas eve services and one Christmas eve eve service that the need has been fulfilled! So what did his Church just do to him?

He is a strong believer in Christ and lives a Christ filled life. Yet his Church family just let him down. Can we measure the damage done to him and his family? He is hurt that he was not even given a voice in the decision to close on Christmas day. His Church happens to be one on the growing trend.

They have grown from a seed Church to one of the largest in the Northeast in over a year. They grow each and everyday. His Pastor even went out and spoke at that Mega Church in Texas recently. We suspect that has something to do with not being open for business on Sunday.

My Church is an intercity Church and being such it is imperative we are open on Sunday, especially Christ’s birthday. We have a food pantry and other services. Imagine if we closed our doors Sunday. Opps sorry no food to hand out we decided to close our doors on this Lords day come back another day. Today you can starve! Imagine. Shame on the Churches who will close.

Pray for those Churches and congregations. Pray that they learn why they are in business in the fist place as it would appear they have lost their way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home